Welcome to the LJHS NORDIC Team Information blog. Please keep this address as it is updated on a regular basis with team news, practice changes, race day information.
PARENT/SKIER INFORMATION MEETING
NOVEMBER 16, 2016 (WEDNESDAY)
Fill out forms, pay fee, get your questions answered!
Laramie Junior High Nordic Team
Chris Hamann Chamann63@gmail.com (307)760-2797 (Text preferred)
Information/Practice Schedules etc
Facebook: ScoutNordic www.ScoutNordic.blogspot.com
First Practices; December 1 and 2, 2016 for all skiers. At LJHS Scout field.
(If team numbers are huge we may have to change this.)
3:30pm (bus departs for Happy Jack Trails) 5:3Opm (arrive back to school)
In town- Practices (3:30 to 5PM)
Requirements for team participation:
1. No previous experience necessary
2. A willingness to learn and improve on your own personal experience level.
3. Sports Physical form (Both sides filled out)
4. Activity fee paid to LJHS
5. Code of Conduct, signed and on file.
6. Info Snap online information current
1. To provide an opportunity in a team atmosphere for students to experience the sport of Nordic Skiing.
2. Knowing that all team members will start with varying abilities, to improve and grow in those abilities.
3. To participate and experience true Nordic racing in a meet.
4. All team members will learn to wax skis and take care of personal equipment.
1. Nordic skis, boots and poles
Team A) Will train for both techniques in the Nordic world. Classic and Skate. A pair of skis for each technique.
Team B) Will concentrate on Classic Skiing. Only one pair of skis needed.
Highly Suggested! Ski bag that holds all your skis, and poles.
Check with Cross Country Connection our local outlet for equipment for rentals. Bindings on skis are not universal fit. Make sure your boots are the right system for your skis. Try them in the store before getting them to the trails.
Put your name on all your equipment!
2. Winter clothing
A quick lesson in how to dress for success...
- layers, layers, layers... Bottom layer of wicking (Under Armor, Columbia, Mountain Hardware, etc. ) long underwear, tops and bottoms. Ski tights or lightweight fleece pants, lightweight fleece top, wind pants and jacket. Reserve the heavy jacket for the bus. Hat and gloves. Cotton sweat pants and sweat shirts, jeans etc. soak up water and do not dry. They are not safe in cold conditions. Cotton kills. Show up to practice in these and you will not be allowed off the bus.
The coaches do not have a supply of extra hats and gloves. You must be responsible for your own. You will be asked to not ski if you do not have proper warm gear!
3. Water bottle and somehow to carry it. Hydration packs with tubes freeze if not worn under a jacket.
4. The team will provide all waxing equipment required to maintain skis thru the season.
Name______________________________ Grade ___School__________________________________
Parents name______________________________________ Phone_____________________________
Email you want info sent to:____________________________________________________________
(This address will be included in a team list)
Rate your ski ability:
Medical issues coaches need to know about. ( Diabetes, seizures, anorexia, etc.)
Days of the week you will not make practice because of other commitments.
As a participant of the Laramie Junior High Nordic Team, I understand that I am expected to abide by the Athletic Code of Conduct included in the LJHS handbook. I understand that at all times while on this team, I am representing LJHS, the Nordic Team and the Sport of Nordic Skiing. I understand that my behaviour directly effects my performance. If such behaviour becomes a chronic problem or there is no resolution thru ACSD1 policies, I can be asked to leave the team.
December 1, 2016---FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE @ LJHS Scout Field (3:30PM – 5PM)
Bring your equipment. The equipment shed will be open before school to stire stuff away.
December 2, 2016 --- Practice @LJHS Scout Field (3:30-5PM)
December 5, 2106 to end of season Practice Mon/Wed/Fri
---load bus at 3:25 PM -home time 5:30PM (This is a goal please be a little flexible. )
In case of road closures or just too cold to ski (wind chill of 0 or below) —Practice will be in town either in the weight room or on Scout Field. (3:30PM – 5PM) We want to ski, but safety is also a concern. It is up to the transportation people to decide if travel is dangerous or not.
Race Event Schedule
1-7-17 Lander - Clasic (Load Bus at 6AM)
1-14-7 Laramie –Pole Mountain Mind Bender (Load bus at 10:30 AM)
1-21-17 Casper- Freestyle (Load Bus at 7AM)
1-28-17 Lander- Freestyle (Load Bus at 6AM)
2-7/2-9-17 State Special Olympics (Only for Special Olympians)
2-10-17 Laramie—Freestyle (8th grade skiers only) Start time TBA
2-11-17 Laramie –Classic (Load Bus at 10AM)
2-18-17 Junior High Championships – Casper (Load Bus at 7AM) Race Format yet to be determined.
**** All races start at noon
***** 1-27-17 Laramie Area Special Olympics. LJHS NORDIC TEAM provides timers, officials and helpers. More Information to come.